July is Disability Pride Month, which commemorates the 1990 passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA “prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities, and recognizes that disabilities are a part of human diversity. It is also an opportunity to raise awareness about improving access and inclusion.”
Visit PBS for a list of documentaries that examine the history of the disability rights movement as well as the activists within the movement and learn about the artists and storytellers whose works explore the diversity of disability experiences.
Check out some publications and videos from the ADA National Network HERE.
Click HERE for ways to celebrate Disability Pride Month, including the following:
- Take part in a disability pride parade or event
- Learn about ableism
- Support inclusive practices
- Read works by disabled authors and journalists
- Be mindful of using respectful language
- Keep up with disability blogs and publications
- Hire individuals with disabilities and educate employees
NewPoint helps companies equalize the playing field for people with disabilities and their co-workers. Contact Us Today.